From: Michael Engh
To: mou-...@cbs.umn.edu
Sent: 3/7/03 11:44 AM
Subject: [mou] a car designed for birders

I've had the pleasure of driving my sister's gas/electric hybrid Toyota
Prius this past week. Its so cool that I just had to tell somebody about
it.

Birding features:

1. 40-50 mpg. Save money on long bird chasing drives.

2. To my knowledge it's the only car you can get in MN which meets the
California SULEV standard (super ultra low emission). Minimize adding to
greenhouse gases which has the potential for dangerous changes in
habitat, food sources, migration patterns, etc.

3. Large windows, front and back for viewing and for holding most large
scope window mounts.

4. Now, for the coolest birding feature: when you pull over and stop at
side of the road, the gas engine automatically shuts off-no noise,
smells, or vibration to disrupt your viewing. Then, when you want to
pull ahead a little for a different viewing angle, the electric motor
silently moves the car-no ignition noise to scare those skittish
shorebirds. Only when you push harder on the accelerator does the gas
engine automatically start up for more power. As long as you move under
20 mph (depending terrain) and don't accelerate too much, the gas engine
stays off. You can run on just the electric motor for quite awhile with
no engine noise to interfere with hearing what's singing along the
roadside.

Mike Engh

Wayzata