We had a cold and gusty count for the Itasca St. Park count on Sunday
December 21, 2008.  Both Red and White-winged Crossbills were seen in
good numbers with several flocks of White-winged Crossbills in widely
separated sectors of the count, especially near Bert's Cabins on the
plowed section of Wilderness Drive.   However, Evening Grosbeaks were
scarce and we had probably a record low number, only 7 individuals.
Because of the wind, we struck out on Black-backed Woodpeckers which
have been regular on most recent counts.  The best bird, a new species
for the count was Wild Turkeys with ten individuals just outside the
park on Hubbard County Road 95.  The releases of turkeys at Tamarac NWR
(and elsewhere) has been wildly successful and the bird is becoming
relatively common in northeast Becker, southern Hubbard and extreme
southern Clearwater Counties.  The effect of having these large birds on
Ruffed Grouse populations and raptors or other predators will
undoubtedly be worth monitoring.

Doug Johnson
Bemidji, MN