There were lots of birds, birders and photographers roaming Sax-Zim yesterday.
We spent the day there checking out many of the areas that have reported
sightings.  The reports proved accurate.

The most abundant birds were common redpolls and black-capped chickadees with a
boreal chickadee at the feeding station with the deer rib cages on the South
Admiral Road.  Northern Hawk Owls seen between 1 and 2 miles from the west end
on the Nichols Lake Road.  After traveling the road twice during the day, on
the third pass at about 4:00 in the afternoon we saw two Great Gray Owls about
2 miles east of Hwy 7 on the Nichols Lake Road.  A number of northern shrikes
were seen including one chasing another.  Ruffed grouse were seen feeding and
roosting in trees in three places.  A flock of snow buntings were seen on the
open fields along Hwy 7 south of Byrne's Greenhouse.  In addition, the bird
feeders being operated for the public were appreciated and interesting.

It was a beautiful day from sunrise, to sunset, to moonrise with birds of some
type whether it was bald eagles, black-billed magpies, pine grosbeacks etc. to
be seen.

Bill Tefft
Parks and Recreation Instructor
Vermilion Community College