I just recieved an email inquiring more information about the loon I saw in Two
Harbors on February 22nd to confirm species identification.

When I saw the loon I was absolutely thrilled because I was thinking it could
be a Yellow-billed. I took time (30 minutes) to follow it and observe it from
the dike and the shore because it was being VERY active in its feeding. I was
able to see it well enough to see a striped collar on its neck. The lighting
wasn't the best but the bill looked more gray than yellow. It looked to be the
same size as a Common Loon though of course size can always be decieving. The
bird was an adult in non-breeding plumage.

To me the most distinguishing characteristic was the collar which had a pattern
consistant with a Common Loon. I would have absolutely loved for this bird to
be a Yellow-billed which is one of my most wanted birds but I do believe that
it was an out of season Common Loon.

If anyone has any further questions feel free to email me.

Good birding,

Jason Caddy

Minneapolis

j.ca...@hotmail.com

Windows Liveā„¢ Contacts: Organize your contact list.