I had an enjoyable day traveling down from Ely, where it is still winter, to
the twin cities area, where I could finally see some migrating birds.  While
much would be redundant, I will mention my stop at the north end of Lake
Vadnais (the road is closed to driving, but you can walk in).  There, in the
relatively small patch open water, was a Common Loon; in the woods on the north
side of the lake was a Golden Crowned Kinglet and a Saw-Whet Owl.

On the way down,near Hinkley, I saw about 100 swans, 75 Common Mergansers, and
a few Snow Geese.  In the metro, I found about 10 species of waterfowl this
afternoon at various locations.

Kyle TePoel
Ely