Hello Birders, The 10th Annual Great MN River Birding Day is scheduled
for September 11th and 12th.  This will likely be the last year for this
event.  It has been a lot of fun to do, but I believe that it has served
its purpose.  In the beginning, this event was used to raise money for
the birding trail guide which was published in June of 2003.  It then
grew into an attempt to informally survey the entire MN River Valley
Watershed during fall migration.  A surprising number of species were
identified.  In more than one year the number exceeded 200.  Several
unusual species were found including Snowy Egret, White-faced Ibis,
Sabine's Gull, Yellow Rail, California Gull, Yellow-breasted Chat, Mute
Swan and Neotropic Cormorant.  In the process, I hope that many of you
were able to enjoy birding in the valley during fall migration and that
you will continue to do so in the years to come.
This year there will be very little structure to the event.  It is not
necessary to notify anyone if you intend to go birding on those days.
Remember that birding has always been restricted to the area west of
Highway 15 on the 11th, but there are no restrictions on the 12th.
There will be no rallies or meeting places this year.  If you do go
birding, please send me your list of species as you have in past years.
I will collate the lists and publish the total.
I thank you all for your support for this event.  It has been a pleasure
to be involved with it.
Bob Williams, Bloomington