The shorebird workshop put on by Bob Janssen and I for 20 attendees this last
weekend in Milbank SD was successful considering the very limited habitat due
to dry conditions this year. We found the following  18 species:

American Golden-Plover
Black-bellied Plover
Killdeer
American Avocet
Greater Yellowlegs
Lesser Yellowlegs
Solitary Sandpiper
Willet
Spotted Sandpiper
Upland Sandpiper
White-rumped Sandpiper
Short-billed Sandpiper
Common Snipe
Least Sandpiper
Semi-palmated Sandpiper
Stilt Sandpiper
Wilson's Phalarope
Red-necked Phalarope
Pectoral Sandpiper

We had really good close looks at most of these species. At one location we
had 8 species as close as 30 - 40 feet all perched on a floating log. For MN
listers the bad news is most of the birds were on the SD side of the border.

Salt Lake (south of Marrietta MN) was very good but once again the best
birding was on the west - SD side of the lake. Another good spot is north of
Marrietta on Hwy 7 just south of Rosen MN. An inch of rain during the weekend
produced a sheet of water that attracted several hundred birds of 6-8
species. A prime shorebird spot near Lake Lillian MN that was superb on Friday
turned into a duck filled lake by Sunday due to heavy rain. This may produce
go shorebirding as it dries over the next days, etc.

Doug Buri
Milbank, SD