Today, Sun. Nov 8, 2009, a gray screech owl was sunning itself in our wood duck
box at noon. It has now dropped into the box and appears on the video camera to
be sleeping. Because it is warm today I expect the owl will spend much of the
time this afternoon sitting in the entry hole.

Just a few days ago I repaired the cable after a mouse chewed it in half. The
wood shavings appeared undisturbed each day since then. There is one pellet in
the box. This is the earliest fall roosting we have noted. So I think last
night was the first "indoors" roosting.

Last years owl was gray and often sat in the hole of the wood duck box, off and
on, after 11 am until it would fly out at dusk. Often at that time there was
just enough light for my eyes to see that "something" flew from the box.

The larger pole mounted duck box at the northwest corner of our house is the
one in use. You can clearly see the entry hole from your car while parked in
the street in front of the southwest corner of our house. Don't try to walk
closer as that will just drive the owl down into the box.

Good luck, owl watchers!

George Skinner
15330 Lynn Terrace
Minnetonka, MN. 55345