From: Minnesota Birds [mailto:mou-...@lists.umn.edu] On Behalf Of Gail
Wieberdink
Sent: Thursday, November 19, 2009 3:16 PM
To: MOU-NET@LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: [mou-net] mallard?

Saw a duck on Lake Vadnais this morning that doesn't quite look right for a
female mallard. It was swimming in the vicinity of some mallards but off by
itself. It appeared slightly smaller to me. It had an all black bill and the
markings looked slightly different as well. Could this be a hybrid of some
sort? I've posted a couple photos of it and included a mallard photo from the
same general area.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gailw/4118376774/in/photostream/

There are hundreds of ring-necks on Vadnais plus more and more hooded
mergansers. There are still good numbers of goldeneye and we saw at least 3
canvas backs. Did not see any red heads today but did see a couple yesterday
along the south side of the lake along Vadnais Blvd. No swans today.

Would like to hear what folks have to say on the "odd duck."

Gail