It is almost unanimous that this is a female Northern Pintail. Thank you to
everyone who took the time to look and send a suggestion. In the number of
years that we have been monitoring Lake Vadnais, we have only seen a Northern
Pintail (male) on one other occasion so pintail did not occur to me. That one
hung around for several weeks, I hope this one does, too!

Thanks again, everyone. You are a great group.

Gail

----- "Gail Wieberdink" <wiebe...@comcast.net> wrote:
| Saw a duck on Lake Vadnais this morning that doesn't quite look right for a
female mallard. It was swimming in the vicinity of some mallards but off by
itself. It appeared slightly smaller to me. It had an all black bill and the
markings looked slightly different as well. Could this be a hybrid of some
sort? I've posted a couple photos of it and included a mallard photo from the
same general area.

| http://www.flickr.com/photos/gailw/4118376774/in/photostream/
|

| There are hundreds of ring-necks on Vadnais plus more and more hooded
mergansers. There are still good numbers of goldeneye and we saw at least 3
canvas backs. Did not see any red heads today but did see a couple yesterday
along the south side of the lake along Vadnais Blvd. No swans today.