I can't make a rural comparison, but my urban chickadees used to go
for the suet balls I put out---until I started putting out shelled
nuts. I'm guessing they get enough energy content from those and the
black oil sunflower seeds, that they don't require the extra fat.
(Mine are also a bit spoiled by heated water, which cuts down on their
energy-use----not to mention fresh meal worm snacks.)
Linda Whyte