Molly and Minnesota birders...

>From my perspective here in Wisconsin, it seems Kentuckys have been turning
up in many more places than last year (though my sample size, 2 yrs, is
small). However, I believe someone reported one from Door Co, or at least
that far north, so it may be somewhat of an invasion going on. Document what
you got! Most warblers that I know of don't respond to heterospecific
playback of song, so your result is decent corroborating evidence.

Keep an ear out, birders of MN!

Jesse Ellis
Madison, Dane Co, WI

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 10:16 AM, Molly Thompson <thomp...@hotmail.com>wrote:

> This morning, I awoke to the song of a Kentucky warbler in my yard in
> Normanna Twp.  I know this doesn't seem possible, but after searching on and
> off for about a half hour, getting only a fleeting glance because it was
> skulking in deep vegetation, I played a recorded call.  It responded
> immediately, but I still could not see it!!  It was right in front of me.
>  How frustrating.  I ran out of time and had to get to work.  The call was
> not that of a ovenbird or a Carolina wren.  I'll try again to find it when I
> get home, but it was on the move, last I heard it.
> Another nice sighting was a Black-throated Blue warbler.  I both heard and
> saw this bird in a hardwood forest in Normanna twp.
> Molly ThompsonDuluth, MN

Jesse Ellis
Madison, Dane Co, WI