Three SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPERS were observed at the southern-most lobe of
Stickney Pool (mile 6.1 on the wildlife drive) yesterday afternoon at 3:00 pm.
I was a little surprised to find them here on June 9!  A BLACK-BILLED CUCKOO
was skulking in the brush on the opposite side of the road at this same spot.

There are OSPREYS nesting on the platform/pole on the south end of Long Pool
for the first time since the pole was installed - about 13 years, according to
refuge staff.  Hooray!  Yesterday, refuge volunteer Robin DeLong observed an
adult feeding a chick.  The nest can be viewed from Co. Rd. 9, 0.9 miles east
of refuge headquarters.  A spotting scope is necessary.  Speedy traffic on a
curvy road demands that you be VERY careful, if you pull off to view the nest!

Several attempts to see the COMMON MOORHEN have resulted in zero sightings, but
I'm not giving up!  Last report I've seen was from June 2.

Betsy Beneke
Sherburne NWR