http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2010/07/19/crane-hunting/

I am curious if any of the 14 Audubon chapters in Minnesota or the
Conservation Comte of MOU was aware of this action by MNDNR?

Was there a comment period published in the Federal Register (for FWS) or
the State Register (for DNR)?   From the few other msgs about this on
Saturday, I must not be the only oblivious and ignorant MOU person out
there.   Also, if either Ron Refsnider (retired USFWS) or Bob Russell (FWS)
have any comment.  Actually I should only address the request to Ron
(ex-classmate) since he is no longer an employee.  (These guys are both
scientists & ornithologists and huge conservationists, so this is not at all
personal.  They are also very friendly and honest and knowledgeable. (I
think I make my point.)  They are two people with knowledge of the agency.)
I am curious how the FWS decides how to allow a season on a migratory bird
and make it a game species?   Obviously, there are exemptions to the
protections of the 1918 Migratory Bird Act for exotic species and game
species (e.g. waterfowl). .  Also I know DNR staff read the MOU email, but
no one notified re the crane issue.   800 or 900 MOU listserv people might
have had some influence with the agencies if they had knowledge and took the
time to react.

Clearly, I could do my own research, and I am looking for shortcuts.  I
should google 'SHCR and MN' for starters.  I do remember the note a few
months ago that MN was thinking about a season on sandhills, and I fwded it
to a few people.  I did not write any letters or make any phone calls. I am
surprised that this issue is now final and I didn't know about the formal
proposal.

I am not trying to start a verbal 'dust-up'.  But if any one who knows
anything about the process that occurred and would be willing to communicate
with the rest of us rubes, I would appreciate it.  A link to the FR or SR
notices would be useful.  Or the contact info for someone at either agency.
The one guy at DNR is mentioned in the article, but staffers are usually
better resources than supervisors in govt agencies.

I don't think cranes of any species should be huntable or hunted anywhere in
the world.  On the other hand, I am not so fond of gulls actually and there
seems to be a sustainable population of ring-billed gulls in particular in
the state.   :=>)

so the oil gusher is finally stopped and now Minnesotans can hunt sandhill
cranes.   oh the humanity!!!  oh humankind!!

Gordon Andersson

St Paul