I sent an email to the DNR opposing this hunt.  Not that it will do any good.
I suppose they want the fees more than anything.  So, sell nature.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Laura Erickson" <chickadee.erick...@gmail.com>
To: MOU-NET@LISTS.UMN.EDU
Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 2010 7:44:35 AM
Subject: Re: [mou-net] SHCR hunting season --- MPR

The DNR news release about the Sandhill Crane notes that there was very
little opposition to the hunt, and the Duluth News Tribune repeats that
verbatim. http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/article/id/174109 (you have
to register to read this) But they also interviewed Janet Green and quoted
her at the end. I'll quote it for those who don't want to register to read
it:

Duluth’s Jan Green, a longtime birder and environmental activist, is
concerned about how the sandhill crane hunting season came to be.

“In terms of public input, there was no public process,” Green said. “It
would seem it’s just DNR staff talking to the federal (U.S. Fish and
Wildlife Service) staff without the citizens in Minnesota being involved in
this discussion at all.”

Green says she is not opposed to a crane season.

“I’m worried more about the process than anything else,” she said.

Best, Laura
Duluth
Laura Erickson

For the love, understanding, and protection of birds

There is symbolic as well as actual beauty in the migration of birds.  There
is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of nature--the
assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after the winter.

            --Rachel Carson