Think it would be interesting to put together a list of places & times that more unusual birds (rarer regular and perhaps casual) might be found. For example:

* Townsend's Solitaire, Ann Lake/Sand Dunes, Sherburne County, late November through March

* Western Kingbird, Sherburne CR 8, 1/2 mile south of 10 (there are other locations around 10), Sherburne County, May through early August.

Such a list/tool would require input from across the state, but could simplify birders' searches for life, state or year birds.

Unless I'm missing something, most of our written information runs from geography to birds, rather than the reverse.

I frequently, front or back channel, see requests for the following birds (again, as examples, not a comprehensive list):

Regular

* Spruce & Sharp-tailed Grouse

* Red-throated and Pacific Loons

* Clark's Grebe

* Least Bittern

* Common Moorhen

* Whimbrel

* Both godwits

* All the northern owls

* Long-eared Owl (know this would be controversial)

* Boreal Chickadee

* Northern Mockingbird (has Park Point become predictable?)

* Various nesting warblers (Golden-winged and Connecticut frequently)

* Blue Grosbeak

Casual

* Ferruginous Hawk

* Gyrfalcon

* Sabine's Gull

* Arctic Tern

* Burrowing Owl

and there are certainly others.

I understand that this information could potentially be developed from the MOU maps (depending upon birders' electronic sharing and users' abilities to run queries); thinking more of a shortcut tool.

I would be happy to put together such a list if we get substantial input. Many of us know predictable or possible locations for some of these, but wouldn't it be great if a Minnesota or visiting birder could access the information without having to develop years of experience and networking?

Thanks!

Al Schirmacher
Princeton, MN
Mille Lacs & Sherburne Counties