I'll add some comments to Jim Fitzpatrick's post. Yolli and I were at this
resort in 2002. It is located in the interior of Belize. I seem to remember
about a 2 hour ride from the Belize City airport. The resort is on the Mopan
river across from the town of Benque. When we arrived in Benque we went by
pontoon boat across the river to the resort. The way the resort operates is:
Each day there is a day trip of some kind. You are free to go on the trip or
stay at the lodge. There are a number of different trips. The ones I remeber
are:
Mayan ruins at Tikal (in nearby Guatemala). This is an all day trip. The ruins
are imressive.
Xunantunich (also Mayan ruins). Not as large as Tikal. Lots of birds at this
one.
Che Chem Ha - An ancient Mayan cave that was "discovered" after being unused
for about 500 years (as I remember). Fascinating place. Muli--levels,
artifacts, left exactly as it was found by the landowner.  Canoing an
underground river. Another day at a butterfly farm.
These are the things I can remember. It was  really interesting and fun trip. I
think I got about 40 new birds on that trip; pretty good considering that it is
not a birding trip and we didn't have a birding guide. The lodge had a fruit
feeder for tanagers and honeycreepers. Now they have added hummingbird feeders
as well.

You can check out the lodge at: www.mopanriverresort.com

You can contact Jim Fitzpatrick at the Carpenter Nature Center at
j...@carpenternaturecenter.org

Larry  and Yoli Sirvio
Cottage Grove, MN