Mike Hendrickson wrote:
"I was wondering if anyone knows how to create a list on excel so that if I add
a X or color in that cell next to that bird species there will be a number
telling me how many birds I seen for United States, Minnesota and St. Louis
County... I know it would easier to buy some bird listing program but I rather
not or use some external listing program out there but I prefer to learn to use
excel in creating bird lists...."

All of those Excel functions will work; COUNTIF is needed only if you have
different values in the cells.
=countif(F1:F600,X)
=sum(F1:F600)
=Count(F1:F600)

But a spreadsheet like Excel is limited or awkward once you start asking
questions such as "how many birds I [have] seen for United States, Minnesota
and St. Louis County", that's the place for a database.  You can build one of
those yourself also if you know Access or something, but that's more of a
challenge.  A professional program is probably worth it; I've use BirdBase for
a long time; it's strength is if you enter sightings by trips... then you can
ask it to display lists or counts or all sightings by any particular geographic
entity, etc. For another example, with an add-on, it can give you a "target"
list for any state of its birds that you've never seen.

Here's one review of several products:
http://www.surfbirds.com/Features/SoftwareReview/WhichSoftware.html

Steve Greenfield
Minneapolis