Reports of a Yellow-breasted Chat at Hyland Park Reserve in
Bloomington drew me there for the daily exercise walk. Starting right
across the street from the beach parking lot and just by the pond, I
made a loop south-east-north-west, starting and ending where I think
the Chat was reported. Purposely included in the loop was the site
where a Chat spent the summer a few years ago. The moist field, with
lots of small trees and shrubs, seems well suited to Chats.
On the first pass there were flashes of brown, black, yellow and white
but they all belonged to the Common Yellow-throat Warbler  On the
return pass there were intriguing Chat-like sounds that seemed to
match what was on my recordings ( I listen through earphones and try
to compare/contrast with what I hear in the field.)  An extended
search to see the singer yielded only a couple of fly-by views of what
I'm reasonably sure was a very melodious Gray Catbird.
On another note I did find Dickcissels at Randolph Industrial Park
this afternoon.  They were north of the lot with the church, songing
on both sides of the road.

Linda