Kelly Applegate reminded me of something. There is also a well developed
Purple Martin colony at Crane Meadows. I have passed a lot of time just
watching them interact. Crane Meadows is a nice place to visit if you like
to walk. They have one 3 1/2 mile loop that starts at an observation deck
with a kiosk and good parking. The trail, that has a crushed rock base,
moves North along the Platte River and a small dam that creates the
Rice/Skunk Lakes. It goes through a stand of Oaks, past a prairie, around
some small marshes and back to another observation deck with a
permanent scope so you may view the lakes.  Then it winds back through
a larger Oak growth and through some low lands with shrubs that has
produced both Cuckoos. It is a good place to pick up on Warblers and
Thrush, plus, great for water fowl in the Spring. The North end has
produced Great Horned, Barred, Long-eared and Screech Owls. I have to
get Milt Blomberg into the Pines to find a Saw Whet Owl to add to our list.
I have also gotten a Red Shouldered Hawk and usually kick up a Coopers
or Sharp Shinned Hawk. Its a very nice place to bird and get off the
beaten track. Thank you Kelly for bringing the Purple Martins to my
attention. I shouldn't have omitted them in my earlier report. Frank
Gosiak,  Little Falls,  Mn  P.S. Red Headed Woodpeckers are just past the
North end observation deck as you wind east.