May 18 - 20 2012 While leading a Minnesota Birding Weekend trip, with the help
of Herb Dingmann to Benton County and one along the Mississippi River between
Brainerd and St. Cloud, our group observed 133 species over the three days.
Here are some of the species observed during the weekend: Snow Goose - Benton
county - Fly over, with flock of Canada Geese, near Highway 10. Ruffed Grouse -
Morrison county - Heard at Charles A. Lindbergh state park. Western Grebe - A
single Western Grebe was observed on the back pond at the Gilman sewage ponds.
Red-shouldered Hawk - Morrison county - Observed at Charles A. Lindbergh state
park.  Another was observed in Stearns county at Mississippi River county park.
Shorebirds - A total of 13 species of shorebirds were observed with the
following locations being the most productive.Benton County - Rice, sewage
Ponds, Gilman, sewage ponds, Foley, sewage ponds.  The area with the most
shorebirds was the Foley sewage ponds.We observed Black-bellied Plover,
Semipalmated Plover, Killdeer, Spotted Sandpiper, Lesser Yellowlegs,
Semipalmated, Least, White-rumped, Baird's and Pectoral Sandpipers, Dunlin,
Short-billed Dowitcher and Wilson's Phalarope.  There was also a possible
Willet at the Gilman sewage ponds. Eurasian Collared Dove - Several were
observed in the City of Rice. Barred Owl - Crow Wing county - Heard only Alder
Flycatcher - Crow Wing county Western Kingbird - Benton county - At least four
Western Kingbirds were observed near the power station on CR 40 , just West of
Highway 10. Warblers - 15 species of Warblers were observed, with no rarities
observed or any locations that had large numbers of migrants.  The best
location we had, was Charles A. Lindbergh state park.  Where 12 species of
Warblers were observed or heard.   Sparrows - We observed Eight species of
Sparrows, with nice looks at Clay-colored, Field, Vesper, Lark and Swamp
Sparrows.   Craig MandelMinnetonka, Hennepin countyegretc...@msn.com