It has come to my attention that the comment I made a week ago ab
All:

It has come to my attention that the comment I made a week ago about the lack
of communication regarding bird sightings during the Detroit Lakes Festival of
Birds was uncalled for.  I apologize for that, and hope that it didn't paint a
negative picture of the event or the quality of birding in that part of the
state.

The Detroit Lakes festival has evolved to be one of the best, and is highly
regarded by birders who attend from all over the country.  Kudos to the
organizers.  The list of species found on field trips during that event is
impressive, largely due to the excellent field trip leaders who are
knowledgeable about the many birding destinations visited and birds expected to
be seen.  That area of NW Minnesota is where northern hardwood forest, pine
forest and tallgrass prairie converge, providing some of the best birding in
Minnesota, and it's where you will find many of Minnesota's most sought-after
species.  Of course, you have to visit in more than one season!

In addition, the Pine to Prairie Birding Trail, which is now an "International"
birding trail, highlights excellent sites to see birds.  I can say this with
confidence, because I've visited them - some many, many times.  I encourage you
all to attend this excellent festival, and take time to drive the birding trail
as well.  I'm sure you'll be glad you did.  For information on the trail and
birding in NW Minnesota, start your trip planning here:

http://www.mnbirdtrail.com/

Betsy Beneke