Deceased Minnesota Birders

For several years I have been reporting on deceased birders at the annual Paper Session. Originally the list was then printed in Minnesota Birding but that has been discontinued. This year a list of deceased birders was distributed. I have been compiling the list since we started doing it. I have had the help of many folks across the state who have sent me names and information. I am now relinquishing this and Bob Janssen will be the new compiler. My thanks to all who have assisted me. I could not have done it without your help. Please send names to <rbjans...@aol.com>

Manley Olson

MOU Paper SessionDecember 1, 2012

Each year at the MOU Annual Meeting and Paper Session we pause to recognize those Minnesota birders who have died since our last meeting, or in a few cases, were not reported to me until after the meeting. It includes some who were well known in the MOU including two former presidents, Forest Strnad and Jack Hofslund. Jack was also a T.S. Roberts award recipient and a former editor of The Flicker, predecessor of The Loon. It also includes many who were less well known and may not even have been aware of the MOU. But their interest in birds was such that it was noted in their obituary or someone sent their name to me.

An * indicates a member of the MOU.

2008

*Hubert, Patricia, 77, Edina/Florida, January 3, 2008

2011

Gipple, Donald, 81, North Oaks, December 12

Gresser, Leander, 86, Maple Grove, December 9

Heegard, Joanne, 73, Plymouth, December 23

*Kneeskern, Rose, 83, Austin, August 25

*Lancaster, Marilyn, 86, St. Paul, December 24

Melchert, LaVerne, 84, Crystal, November 9

*Neiger, Vivian, 64, Eagan, May

*Rogier, June, 90, Victoria, December 17

Smith, Noble, 85, St. Paul, November 12

Westby, Phyllis, 91, Minneapolis, December 6

2012

Anderson, LaVonne, Robbinsdale, November 1

Archer, Andrew, 27, Edina, April 23

Boden, Richard, 90, Coon Rapids, July 29

Brooks, Marney, 89, Wayzata, November 18

Einerson, Amos, 94, Bemidji, October 22

Fairbairn, Hugh, 96, Inver Grove Heights, May 20

*Fox, Gerald, 80, Mountain Lake, February 12

Gilbert, Gordon, 57, Eagan, April 15

Haugen, Darlene, 74, Plymouth, May 21

Heglund, Kathryn, 79, Wayzata, September 26

Hensen, Marguerite, 89, Buffalo, September 6

*Hofslund, Jack, 94, Duluth, April 21

Judd, Claire, 93, Grand Marais, July 14

Lenke, Dorothy, 78, Hopkins, September 14

McBrady, Rose, 55, Minneapolis, November 6

Miller, William, 80+, Remer, September 11

Mohr, Barbara 75, Minneapolis, September 1

Morelli, Margaret, 91, Burnsville, May 12

Nesse, Dorothy, 89, Oak Park Heights, November 29

Newell, Harlan, 95, St. Paul, August 4

Oldenburg, Marvin, 92, Prior Lake, June 15

Perry, James, 68, Minneapolis/Florida, March 3

*Peterson, Palmer, 95, Bloomington, May 6

Rahlenbeck, Hildegard, 82, Richfield, July 9

Richardson, Elaine, 80+, Minnetonka, August 5

Richey, Joseph, 90, Plymouth, November10

Salomonsen-Peterson, Betty, 80+, Roseville, September 6

Schultz, Terry, 58, St. Paul, April 20

Sims, Kirk, 55, St. Paul, Jan 16

Smith, Bette, 93, Little Canada, May 27

Stahel, Patrick, 66, Lake of the Woods, January 1

Steele, Eugene, 83, Vadnais Heights, April 17

Stetler, Jeanine 71, Brooklyn Center, August 5

*Strnad, Forrest, 93, Faribault, July 2

Struthers, James, 90, Minneapolis, May 2

*Thurston, David, 94, North St. Paul, April 28

Twite, Lee, 59, Minneapolis, June 22

*Vetter, Ruth, 74, Bloomington, February 29

Webster, Caroline, 86, Nisswa, August 27

Wells, Dennis, 63, Prairie Island, November 7