We started out the day heading to Wisconsin Point to the Superior

 We started out the day heading to Wisconsin Point to the Superior Entry Way to
look for gulls that might be loafing on the break walls and also look for the
reported Barrow's Goldeneye that Karl Bardon found a few weeks ago.  We spotted
the Barrow's Goldeneye originally on the Wisconsin side but the ice movement
moved the Barrow's Goldneye back into Minnesota waters. I estimated that there
were at least 600 Common Goldeneyes in the entry area.  After viewing and
photographing the Barrow's Goldeneye we headed to the Superior Landfill to see
what gulls we could find.  The gulls were mostly leaving the landfill probably
due to some Bald Eagles in the area and our highlight was spotting the
Slaty-backed Gull leaving the Wisconsin Landfill and heading out to Lake
Superior.  We then drove over to Gull Bluff which is a overlook area just east
of the landfill where birders and sight seers can view Lake Superior.  We saw
at least 3,000 gulls loafing way
 out in the ice due east of the bluff but the distance and the heat waves made
spotting gull species impossible.

We then headed to Canal Park and spent the next 2 hours on this sunny day
studying Thayer's Gulls, a Iceland Gull, Glaucous Gulls, Great Black-backed
Gulls and Herring Gulls.  The biggest find was when Pete Hoeger spotted the
Slaty-backed Gull on the ice out from the break wall on north side.  Peder
Svingen confirmed the identity and everyone had really good looks of this gull.
 We ended up observing 2 first cycle Thayer's Gulls, 3 second cycle Thayer's
Gulls, 1 third cycle Thayer's Gulls, 2 adult Thayer's Gulls, 1 second cycle
Iceland Gull, 3 second cycle Glaucous Gull, 1 first cycle Glaucous Gull, 1
adult Glaucous Gull, 3 first cycle Great Black-backed Gulls, 1 third cycle
Great Black-backed Gull and 1 adult Great Black-backed Gull.  All together we
observed 7 species of gull which included 2 adult Ring-billed Gulls and about
700 plus Herring Gulls.

I would like to acknowledge that Pam Perry who was part of the Gull Workshop
was at 295 for her Minnesota life list and with the gulls and the Barrow's
Goldeneye, Pam is now at 301 for her Minnesota life list. Congrats Pam!!  Also
Tom Malone who was sitting at 299 got to see the Slaty-backed Gull for his
300th Minnesota bird. Congrats Tom!!  Most importantly I would like to thank
Peder Svingen, Larry and Jan Kraemer for helping my participants view the gulls
from their spotting scopes and also calling out gull species. THANK YOU!!

This was a lot of fun and I would like to do this again next year.

Mike

Mike Hendrickson
Duluth, Minnesota
MikeHendricksonGuiding.com