I felt I had to add my two cents worth concerning Mimics. The Blue Jay is
one of the best. For years I have had a pair of Red-Shouldered Hawks living
in the park next to my property. I became very familiar with their call and
actions. One day I was watching my feeders and I heard the familiar sound of
the Red Shouldered and all the birds scattered out of my feeders. Low and
behold I was surprised to see a Blue Jay come in. The bird figured out how
to scare all the other birds away so he could enjoy the spoils. This has
been going on for many years and I don't know if it is the same bird or if
he passed on his knowledge. Whenever I hear an odd sounding bird noise, or
one that should not be coming from the habitat I live in, I usually suspect
a Jay. If not It is either a Brown Thrasher or Gray Catbird. Between the
three you they can almost copy any noise. I expect one will pick up my
Wife's vocal sounds and then I will really be confused. Beyond this, I wish
I had the ability to pick up bird calls like some people can. The only birds
I can call in are Barred and Great Horned Owls. I had to back up into the
brush for protection once because I got a Great Horned so riled up that it
came at me. Otherwise, when I try to copy bird sounds I usually scare them off.