Hi David,

Just Carl, no et al.

Please take a deep breath. Your post was not a review or in response to a
request for information. It was an advertisement. Not only was it an
advertisement but we were announcing the release of an application that
would make it easier for our members to enter data into the MOU Seasonal
Report. Not eBird, nothing to do with eBird. So you took an official MOU
announcement and transformed it into an advertisement for your favorite
software. Nothing personal on eBird or BirdLog or iPods/Pads I would have
raised the same objection had you told us about a sale on Chevy trucks even
though they provide a service to people who want to bird from a Chevy truck
(or Ford or Toyota...). Please review the guidelines
http://moumn.org/listservice.html for the list service. If you want to
continue this discussion lets do it by private email because the guidelines
also discourage limited debates between just a few individuals.

The MOU announcement that went astray was the beta release of an application
that allows members of the Minnesota Birding Community to submit their
sightings to the MOU Seasonal Reports via their smartphone or tablet. The
MOU Seasonal Reports is the most complete database of Minnesota Bird
Sightings in the world. It includes over 2.3 million sightings dating back
113 years providing information on distribution, nesting, seasonal
occurrence, county/state records, and queryable information on dozens of
options. No other database comes can provide this information. Do you want
to know how many times a Varied Thrush has been seen in Washington county in
the last century, it must be MOU. Do you want to know if your Insert Bird
Name Here is a first state or county record, it must be MOU. If you want to
know all the birds seen this month in your county, it must be MOU. How about
the list of nesting birds for a certain county? What about which counties
have recorded a certain bird this year? Last year? 1925? Migration dates? It
must be MOU. Nesting records, CBC records, it goes on and on. So regardless
of what other organizations/databases you choose to submit your data please
continue to submit them to the MOU and we will continue to work to provide
you with the tools you want to use that data. It is important that with more
databases/websites/apps out there the Minnesota community does not become
fragmented and have half submitting to this database and half to that
database as this weakens both datasets.

Thanks,
Carl

  _____