Spent the last three days in Pope County and was able to squeeze in some
birding – if you can call it that.  Sunday afternoon was some of the worst
weather I can remember, and I grew up there so I can recall a good many snowy
April (and May) days.  The combination of 20 to 25 MPH winds combined with a
mix of snow, rain, sleet, and freezing rain made it impossible to bird outside
the car.  Scope was out of the question.  The only (relatively uncommon) birds
seen were Lapland Longspurs and Horned Larks.  No matter how many times I see
these little guys in this kind of weather, I continue to marvel at their
hardiness.

Bird summary:

Sunday PM:

  Horned Larks – in pairs or small groups of three
  Lapland Longspurs – larger group of 40 to 50 birds feeding in the ditches
along highway 55, and a small group at my farm
  Am. Robins – group of 8 birds feeding in a crab-apple tree outside the church
and hanging on for dear life
  Dark-eyed Juncos – Very large flock of a hundred or more in Lowry
  House sparrows, American Crows, and Chickadees

Monday:  still very windy  and DRIFTING SNOW, but no freezing rain.  There is
no open water on any of the area lakes except for the small open areas at
culverts draining into the lake.  Consequently, all of the waterfowl is
concentrated on runoff ponds on agricultural fields (drainage culverts are
still frozen).  Thousands of geese and ducks are on those ponds and feeding on
area corn fields.

  Canada Geese – Thousands all over in farm fields
  Greater White-fronted Geese – Dozens mixed in with Canadas
  Swans – presumably Tundras – I was not able to use my scope.
  Mallards
  Ring-necks
  Shovellers
  Wood Duck
  Common Goldeneyes
  Hooded Mergansers
  Great Blue Heron – One very cold looking GBHE hunching down, at the small
pond feeding Lake Minnewaska near Torgy’s
  Gadwall – one bird in the small pond in Glenwood keeping the Heron company
  Canada Geese, Mallards, Shovellers, Hoodies, Goldeneyes and Ring-necks at the
game farm pond on SH 28 in Glenwood
  Killdeer – 4 or 5 running around on the snow at game bison farm
  Pied-billed Grebe
  One lonely Ring-billed Gull

Along country roads -
  Lapland Longspurs – they must have moved on – only one small group of 5 birds
  Horned Larks – all over the place
  Snow Buntings – 3 or 4 but they were nearly completely in breeding plumage
  Western Meadowlarks – three birds also hanging on to madly swinging weed tufts
  Northern Harrier – one pair
  Red-tailed Hawks – we quit counting at 20 birds.
  “Richardson’s race” Merlin – Thanks to Drew Smith for ID assistance, as this
was not a bird either my wife or I had seen previously.
  Dark-eyed Juncos – large flocks around and at my farm
  Blackbirds, Red-wings in large numbers, a few Brewer’s mixed in.
  Common Grackles
  Sparrow (sp)

Tuesday:  Much nicer day.  Waterfowl still concentrated in large numbers on
farm fields.  Pretty much the same birds around.
  Cooper’s or Sharpie chasing a robin near Starbuck
  Redheads – 3 pair in the farm fields
  Blue-winged Teal – in Glenwood
  American Kestrals -  5 birds between Glenwood and Plymouth (not Pope County)
  Again, we quit counting Red-tails at 15.
  One Rough-legged

On Tuesday, I photographed 20 or more people ice fishing on Lake Minnewaska,
and not right by shore, either.  I was told there is still 1 to 2 feet of ice
or more on the lake.  There is NO SIGN of “gray ice”!

Sid Stivland
Plymouth, MN (and Pope County)