I birded parts of Stearns County on Sunday and Monday, and found a few FOY
birds.  The north central and northwest parts of the county still have a lot of
snow on the ground, compared to central and south. Most large lakes remain
ice-covered, with only a few open areas along the edges or where there is
flowage.  The Albany treatment ponds were 50% ice covered yet last night, but
should be open within a couple of days - depending on temps and wind.

Just a couple of quick observations.  I've never seen so many ruddy ducks
throughout Sherburne and Stearns counties - they're everywhere!  Also, lots of
green-winged teal - more than I can remember seeing the last 2-3 springs.  Not
much diversity in shorebirds yet.

Albany Treatment Ponds - Monday evening
Sanderlings (3).  I was very surprised to see them.  No other shorebirds there
besides killdeer.  They were running along on the ice, heads down, tails up.
Also, Franklin's and ring-billed gulls, horned grebe, a few of the normal
migrant puddle and diving ducks.

Wetlands west of Greenwald
Shorebirds included greater and lesser yellowlegs in abundance.  Two Baird's,
one pectoral, and one solitary sandpiper.  Two American pipits.  Lots of
waterfowl.  Two different rough-legged hawks in that area.

Large wetland on the SE corner of CR's 175 and 176
Eared and red-necked grebes, along with lots of waterfowl, and both yellowlegs.

Floodplain of the Sauk River along Hwy. 4, just south of Melrose / I-94
Horned grebes, great egret, greater and lesser yellowlegs, Bonaparte's gulls,
yellow-headed blackbirds, tree swallows, northern rough-winged swallows (2).
Lots of ducks.  Please note - if you visit this area - Hwy. 4 is a busy road,
and the shoulders are very narrow. You really can't pull off on the shoulders
safely.  There are two short, steep approaches on the south side of the bridge
that you can pull into, but I wouldn't advise it unless you have 4-wheel drive.

Sauk River at Melrose - just west of the dam - Monday evening
Forster's Terns (3) - sitting on logs in the river.  American white pelicans.
Cormorants diving for and eating bullheads, right below the dam.  Great opp for
photos if you pull into the public access that's right there.  Horned grebes,
ruddy ducks, lots of divers.  Purple martins in a couple of houses along the
river.

In the town of Melrose, a rose-breasted grosbeak was at a bird feeder.

Betsy Beneke
St. Cloud