In the morning off July 4 at Salt Lake in western Lac Qui Parle County I found
an interesting assortment of shorebirds and others.
Along the south shore as viewed from the observation platform I found
20 Lesser Yellowlegs
5 Greater Yellowlegs
4 Short-billed Dowitchers
7 Marbled Godwits
At least 3 female, one male and one juvenile Wilson's Phalarope
I did not find any sandpipers
Also more than 60 Franklin's Gulls some 1st summer and some Adult
20 Black Terns
At least 100 Ruddy Ducks, 10 Redheads, Mallards, Shoveler, Blue-winged and
Ring-necked Ducks
One male Green-winged Teal
At least 20 Eared Grebes
Although the water level was high Salt Lake has enough sand bars and the right
mix of food to attract a large variety of birds.  For the next 3 hours I drove
around Big Stone and LQP counties and could find few other shorebirds. Water
levels in most ponds and lakes were quite high leaving little shorebird
habitat. I  did find many Eastern Kingbirds, one Western Kingbird, 9 Bobolinks,
8 Great Egrets, 4 Red-tailed Hawks. Only one Kestrel was found while driving
100 miles.
Ken Larson at Prairie Marsh Farm