Frank - cats do not belong outside,  especially in the yard of a birder I
am afraid.  The bird, once wounded by the cat has virtually no chance of
survival - things caught by dogs have a much better outlook, due to the
variety of organisms found in the mouth of a cat.
A bell does no goo, as Liz says.  Cats belong indoors.
I have done wildlife work for over 16 years, so I know of what I
speak...sorry!
Sue on Melody Lake, Edina