Last weekend the 40th annual Salt Lake Birding Weekend took place in Lac Qui
Parle, Big Stone, and northern Yellow Medicine counties. Over 90 birders from
around the state met at 7 AM at the Marietta American Legion. Over the three
day weekend we found 143 different species, 133 on Saturday, adding four from
Friday and 6 from Sunday. Lots of waterfowl, grebes and shorebirds were around
the area, with Miller Lake having the best shorebird habitat. For the second
year in a row a Say's Phoebe was found by Jim Ryan and on Sunday a Wood Thrush
was found by Cindy Broste in a woods near Prairie Marsh Farm. We were able to
relocate it on Monday. This is the first Wood Thrush found by the Salt Lake
Birding Weekend and an early sighting for the state. A complete list is
available which will be available on the MOU web site soon or you can email me
directly at mailto:prairiemarshf...@comcast.net .
Ken Larson