There is a road south of Atwater that I have walked many times in past
years looking for Blue Grosbeaks. Today I was on that road, and I was NOT
looking for Blue Grosbeaks but rather mere year tics (Orchard Oriole, Bank
Swallow). Since it is only May and since I already have a Kandiyohi Blue
Grosbeak thanks to the Hockemas and Josh Watson, I really haven't given
this species much thought yet this year. So it was quite ironic then when I
glassed a larger, dark bird in a treetop and saw that massive bill.  Then
it sang and I could hardly believe it--a second county record Blue Grosbeak.

The bird was found on 180th St. just north of Co. Rd. 23. This is south of
Atwater. There are gravel pits on both sides of 180th, and the bird could
be seen and heard from the road toward the north end of both gravel pits.
It moves around a large territory and sings fairly often. With a little
patience it should be able to be seen/heard well from the road, so no need
to trespass in the pits or play tapes. The east pit is very active and
noisy.

Josh Wallestad
Willmar, MN