Tom,

this is, if I am correct, the 6th Lewis WP found in Minnesota, with the
first being in 1974. The last two were found in 2013/2014 and 2017. Having
just traveled through California, where it is found, I am not at all
surprised that a western woodpecker has shown up in Minnesota. The Sierra
Nevada mountains and other areas out west where this bird is found have
been decimated by drought and an associated infestation of the western pine
bark beetle that has weakened vitality of conifers. Hundreds of millions of
mature pine trees stand brown, dead, in forests through the west. Many of
these trees have burned and are now black and dead. Many blame the severe
drought over the last five years on the change in climate out west. It is
no surprise that that this woodpecker, which is prone to wander anyway, has
been found here.

Steve Weston
On Quigley Lake in Eagan, MN
swest...@comcast.net