I was intrigued by the discussion of whether in recent years
more robins are being seen during winter in the Twin Cities(Charles Neil, Mary
White and J. Baumann). I think that I
have seen more robins, particularly in large flocks, in
recent years. To put this hypothesis to the test I looked at the
results from four Christmas Bird Counts over the years that are
online at the Minnesota Ornithologists' Union website. The
Christmas Bird Counts I checked were Bloomington CBC, St. Paul
(North) CBC, Excelsior CBC and the Minneapolis (North) CBC.
I found a distinct trend of more robins being counted during
the counts since the winter of 1996 than were in prior years.
The numbers vary widely each year, but there is a distinct
inflection point around 1996 for a larger number of robinssince that date than
prior to it. Since 1996, the number ofrobins counted varies greatly from year
to year, but I don't
see any clear evidence that the numbers are continuing to
increase.
Average number of robins counted at Twin Cities CBCs:
       Bloomington  St. Paul (North)  Minneapolis (North)  Excelsior
Pre         21.2                   17.1              2.5
 5.3
1996
1996-    367.4                420.5           114.6                    181.2
2017

Median number of robins counted at Twin Cities CBCs:
       Bloomington  St. Paul (North)  Minneapolis (North)  Excelsior
Pre           5                      6                         0
       1
1996
1996-     278                255                        26                   132
2017
I considered that the increased number of robins might reflect
more birders participating in these Christmas counts as well
as an increase in birding skills. If there are more skillful
birders involved in these counts I would expect a similar
increase in the counts of other species. So I looked at the
counts reported by the Bloomington CBC for the black-capped
chickadee, blue jay and dark-eyed junco. I didn't find any
trends or long term changes in the number of these species.
Therefore, I'm convinced that the increased number of winter
robins is real.
I didn't attempt to see if there is a link between the increasein the number of
robins counted and weather/climate.
That leaves a question in my mind. Are the larger counts just
a reflection that the Twin Cities population of robins has
increased but the same proportion of that population is
overwintering as in the past or have the overwintering habits
of the robins changed?
The CBC data speaks only to the presence of robins in December.
Maybe the only change is when the robins migrate to warmer
regions. Maybe if we had many years of counts for January and
early February we would find that the number of robins in
those months hasn't changed much over the years. As Manley
Olson pointed out, once the robins exhaust the availability of
crab apples, perhaps they head south and are now just as
uncommon in January and February as they were back in the
1950s through 1980s.
Val Landwehr
Minneapolis