Almost all of the Christmas Bird Counts have been completed. I hope that
you had an opportunity to participate. The highlights of this year's counts
for me included a Red Crossbill that responded to my pishing on the Pine
County count. I would love to say that I recognized the call, but I was not
that accomplished. I recognized that I could not identify the call. A quick
check of my Sibley app and I had an ID. It was the first Red Crossbill I
had seen in years. Another highlight was when I played the call of a
Townsend's Solitaire at a location on the Wabasha count where I had found
one on a previous count and was reward with an immediate response.

Didn't get out to find your Red Crossbill or Townsend Solitaire? The
weather is going to be great in the next few days and there are still
Christmas Bird Counts that are looking for participants. Of the five counts
that are still left, three this Saturday are still looking for help.
Uppgaard (includes Pequot Lakes and Breezy Point). Contact Judd Brink  (218)
838-4784
i...@birdminnesota.com
Pelican Lakes, one of our newest counts! " it boasts an excellent mix of
habitats; grasslands, forests, lakes and rivers. The latter has many areas
that have open water!" Contact Matt Mecklenburg: (218) 498-2679
mmecklenb...@tnc.org
Pipestone, brand new this year in the Southwest corner of the state, we
have no idea what surprises will be uncovered. Contact Garrett Wee: (507)
829-8187  garrett...@hotmail.com

Steve Weston
On Quigley Lake in Eagan, MN
swest...@comcast.net