Thank you so much, Manley. Spot on!Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
-------- Original message --------From: Manley Olson <manleyol...@gmail.com>
Date: 3/17/20  9:06 AM  (GMT-06:00) To: MOU-NET@LISTS.UMN.EDU Subject: Re:
[mou-net] Fwd: Our best bird protection law is being rolled back The statement
contains two facts: Bird populations are dramatically declining and the current
administration is working to reduce protections that have been in place for a
century with the Migratory Bird Treaty. If you think that is political, one
sided and offensive, I question how concerned you are about birds and what you
are doing on this website.Manley OlsonOn 3/17/2020 8:29 AM, Jeremy Canfield
wrote:> This is a one sided political slam against the President. I find this>
offensive and one sided. I didn;t sign up for political campaigning on the>
BIRD list serve...>> On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 8:17 AM Kathryn Rudd
<katda...@hotmail.com> wrote:>>>>> Sent from my iPhone>>>> Begin forwarded
message:>>>> From: Environment Minnesota <act...@environmentminnesota.org>>>
Date: March 17, 2020 at 8:14:39 AM CDT>> To: "katda...@hotmail.com"
<katda...@hotmail.com>>> Subject: Our best bird protection law is being rolled
back>> Reply-To: act...@environmentminnesota.org>>>> >>>> Birds need our
protection now more than ever, but the Trump administration>> plans to gut our
most powerful bird conservation law.>>
[https://tpin.webaction.org/images/outlookfix.jpg]>>>> [Environment Minnesota
Banner]>>>> Bird populations are collapsing, but the Trump administration is
trying to>> roll back our most important bird conservation law. Add your name
to help>> save the Migratory Bird Treaty Act before the deadline this Thursday,
March>> 19.>>>> TAKE ACTION<>>
http://pin.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=hjWhBNskTSpTYtL9HRSQy9wCZfsh8%2F21>>
 Kathryn,>>>> There are 3 billion fewer birds in the skies of North America
today than>> there were 50 years ago. This dramatic decline points to something
worse>> than seeing fewer feathered friends at our backyard feeders. "This is
the>> loss of nature," said one conservation biologist -- because birds are
vital>> players in every ecosystem.1>>>> Birds need our protection now more
than ever, but the Trump administration>> plans to gut our most powerful bird
conservation law. The Migratory Bird>> Treaty Act has been preventing bird
deaths for 100 years -- but no longer,>> unless we take action.2>>>> We have
until this Thursday to tell the Trump administration: Don't roll>> back the
Migratory Bird Treaty Act.<>>
http://pin.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=QaRWP39w%2F%2BYsdGzodUMRytwCZfsh8%2F21>>
 Under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, companies can be held liable for harm>>
done to birds by their projects, even if the birds were killed by accident.>>
For example, thousands of birds choke or drown in the toxic black ponds>> that
store oil drilling waste. Because of the Migratory Bird Treaty Act,>> the oil
companies responsible could be fined for their deaths even though>> the ponds
weren't intended to kill birds.3>>>> In 2017, the Trump administration decided
to follow an extremely narrow>> interpretation of the law. The government
stopped investigating bird>> deaths, and even began to discourage business and
states from going out of>> their way to protect birds.4>>>> This change will be
permanent if the Migratory Bird Treaty Act is rolled>> back. Submit your public
comment before the March 19 deadline.<>>
http://pin.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=5Dm2mppFuUvPXIWhzs8%2F9twCZfsh8%2F21>>
 It's not too late to ensure that birds will enjoy the protection of this>>
vital law for another century and beyond. The government is required by law>>
to consider any public feedback that is submitted before the deadline, so>> the
time to raise our voices is now.>>>> This rollback makes it easy for companies
to cause the deaths of thousands>> of birds just because it's more convenient
to leave them in harm's way than>> it is to protect them. But you and I both
know that this shortsighted point>> of view doesn't make any sense. Our
nation's incredible wildlife is worth>> protecting at any cost.>>>> Thank
you,>>>> Timothy Schaefer>> State Director>>>> P.S. Our work to defend the
environment can't stop and won't stop in the>> face of the coronavirus
pandemic. We'll keep advocating on your behalf -->> at a safe social distance
-- for clean air, clean water, clean energy,>> wildlife and open spaces, and a
livable climate.>>>> 1. Carl Zimmer, "Birds Are Vanishing From North America<>>
http://pin.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=btB4JKs7ZcIp%2FYATQgH3lNwCZfsh8%2F21>,">>
 The New York Times, September 19, 2019.>> 2. Lisa Friedman, "Trump
Administration Moves to Relax Rules Against>> Killing Birds<>>
http://pin.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=XEdrfgODYlNf8H16PaYpZ9wCZfsh8%2F21>,">>
 The New York Times, January 30, 2020.>> 3. Elizabeth Shogren, "I saw more dead
birds in that one pit than hunters>> would poach<>>
http://pin.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=%2BrXuucwZk%2BbTHdSigNIVu9wCZfsh8%2F21>,">>
 High Country News, March 15, 2018.>> 4. Lisa Friedman, "A Trump Policy
'Clarification' All but Ends Punishment>> for Bird Deaths<>>
http://pin.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=AlLw5XzlmOYlLQ66ZofmWdwCZfsh8%2F21>,">>
 The New York Times, December 26, 2019.>>>> Donate today.<>>
http://pin.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=A6FnCO8twDhCazQ0rw%2FIX9wCZfsh8%2F21>>>
 A cleaner, greener future is within our reach. Your donation today can help>>
us bring the vision we share a little closer to reality.>>>> Environment
Minnesota: Clean Air, Clean Water, Open Space, Inc.>> 211 N. 1st St., Ste. 480,
Minneapolis, MN 55401, (612) 331-8404>> 612-520-7630>>>> Member questions or
requests call 1-800-401-6511.>> Facebook<>>
http://pin.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=khR67DoqDYjhg0GoJ0MD1dwCZfsh8%2F21>>>
 | Twitter<>>
http://pin.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=KOSNmc5WD9e7G9oS7P2lktwCZfsh8%2F21>>
 If you want us to stop sending you e-mail then follow this link -->>
Unsubscribe<>>
http://pin.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=IeatPi7LvSNq%2Fr27g%2BJNztwCZfsh8%2F21>>>>
Archives: http://lists.umn.edu/archives/mou-net.html>>>----Join or Leave
mou-net: http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=mou-netArchives: