There are currently at least 26 bald eagles congregating on the ice near open
water on Goff's Bay of Big Sandy Lake. I am viewing them from my home
overlooking the bay and I suspect there are more out of my line of sight. Their
numbers have been building here over the last couple of days.
Yesterday at Rice Lake NWR, there were approximately 1500 ring-necked ducks
that could be seen from the observation tower on the northern edge of Rice Lake
along with trumpeter swans, blue-winged teal, common goldeneyes, buffleheads,
and wood ducks. Other notable sightings on the refuge included an American tree
sparrow, several northern harriers and four sandhill cranes.

Lon BaumgardtAitkin County