The bird was "sunning." It leans over, opens its feathers, and exposes its
bare skin to sun. This raises its temperature which probably sends at least
a few lice and mites packing.

I took a photo of my backyard male sunning just last week. <
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lauraerickson/50039373192>

Best,

Laura Erickson, Duluth

On Sat, Jul 4, 2020 at 8:59 AM linda whyte <
0000004e7b0e779a-dmarc-requ...@lists.umn.edu> wrote:

> Would it make a difference what type of wood the chips are? Perhaps cedar,
> for instance, may have special qualities for the purpose of "antting".
> Linda Whyte
>
> On Sat, Jul 4, 2020, 8:29 AM Susan Tertell <stert...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > From the original post, it doesn't seem as though ants are involved.
> Could
> > the fumes from the wood chips serve the same purpose?
> >
> > Susan
> >
> > On Fri, Jul 3, 2020 at 10:23 PM John Clouse <
> > 00000249d7b7d4a1-dmarc-requ...@lists.umn.edu> wrote:
> >
> > > It’s “anting.”
> > >
> > > John

> and
> > > wonder if someone can explain it.

> > garden
> > > there, a robin landed on the wood chips, leaned a little to one side,
> and
> > > laid - head tilted - with his mouth open.  Within seconds, another
> robin
> > > flew in - spread his wings completely open on the wood chips, tilted
> his
> > > head and opened his mouth.  Both stayed a few minutes - long enough for
> > me
> > > to get the binoculars to observe their open mouths, and then the camera
> > > snap a few shots.  After a few minutes, the robin with the open wings
> > stood
> > > up, walked a few steps and flew off.  Within 15-20 seconds, the second
> > > robin did the same.

> But
> > > this was in strong west-facing sun.  Ideas?

> http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=mou-net

> > > social distancing, and continue to bird responsibly.

> http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=mou-net

> > > social distancing, and continue to bird responsibly.
> > >
> > > ----
> > > Archives: http://lists.umn.edu/archives/mou-net.html
> > >
> > > During the pandemic, the MOU encourages you to stay safe, practice
> social
> > > distancing, and continue to bird responsibly.
> > >

> > ----
> > Archives: http://lists.umn.edu/archives/mou-net.html
> >
> > During the pandemic, the MOU encourages you to stay safe, practice social
> > distancing, and continue to bird responsibly.

Laura Erickson
Duluth, MN
www.lauraerickson.com

For the love, understanding, and protection of birds

Cynicism pollutes objectivity.

            —Dan Rather