Hello.  I just observed some robin behavior I'd never seen before and wonder if
someone can explain it.

I went to close a window on the west side of the house and in the garden there,
a robin landed on the wood chips, leaned a little to one side, and laid - head
tilted - with his mouth open.  Within seconds, another robin flew in - spread
his wings completely open on the wood chips, tilted his head and opened his
mouth.  Both stayed a few minutes - long enough for me to get the binoculars to
observe their open mouths, and then the camera to snap a few shots.  After a
few minutes, the robin with the open wings stood up, walked a few steps and
flew off.  Within 15-20 seconds, the second robin did the same.

If the garden were in the shade, I'd assume they were cooling off.  But this
was in strong west-facing sun.  Ideas?

Jeanne
West Como, St. Paul