(Posted by Janet C. Green <jgr...@d.umn.edu> via moumn.org)

After four days of fog, yesterday, August 24th, brought the annual peak of the
Common
Nighthawk migration.  Hawk Ridge Bird Observatory posted 27,580 nighthawks for
the day.
Our apartment overlooks the shore of Lake Superior at 40th Ave. E. in Duluth
and has a 180-
degree view of the lake and sits 40-50 feet above the water.  We (John and I)
spotted the
migration from our windows just before 5:00 pm.  The flight at that time was a
whirling mass,
mixed in with a few gulls, hawking for insects like the Ring-bill Gulls do
sometimes.  The
nighthawks came in pulses at first and then began streaming over the lake from
NE to SW.
They could easily be counted from our deck because the birds were fairly close
to shore; John
did a test count at 5:45 (300 birds in 2 minutes).  The peak flight was 5:30 to
6:15 pm, and
then tapered off to ending about 6:45 pm.  The count from 5:00 to 6:45 pm I
estimated as
about 7-8,000 birds.

Jan Green