Highlights downstream from the Dam this morning:

Brown Thrasher - FOY, in patch of woods at SW end of Cenaiko Lake
Least Flycatcher - FOY, heard, then seen in same patch of woods
Palm Warbler - FOY, in grassy strip between Cenaiko Lake & paved trail
Savannah Sparrow - FOY, in turf trail just west of Cenaiko Lake; near the picnic shelter that's between paved & turf trails; we've seen one or more at this spot each spring for probably 5 years now, but they disappear after a couple weeks; we'd love to hear if someone has evidence of nesting there; today's bird was singing later, don't think we've heard that song before, starting out a bit like a Grasshopper Sparrow Rose-Breasted Grosbeak - Maureen is pretty convinced she heard a male singing; her hearing is better than mine; we never saw the bird, or even got very close to the song source; so it's an "almost FOY" Great Blue Herons - 4 standing upright on nests in the rookery, a fifth perched nearby; no evidence of incubation or even pairing, a sad remnant of the 16 or so pairs there early last spring; does anyone know what caused abandonment last year? Also saw the now-routine Yellow-rumped Warblers, Ruby-crowned Kinglets (but no Golden-crowned), White-throated Sparrows, and a single (laggard?) American Tree Sparrow.

Ron Refsnider
Coon Rapids