From: Minnesota Birds <MOU-NET@LISTS.UMN.EDU> on behalf of Refsnider
<00000a551ec6bb78-dmarc-requ...@lists.umn.edu>
Sent: Thursday, April 29, 2021 1:32 PM
To: MOU-NET@LISTS.UMN.EDU <MOU-NET@LISTS.UMN.EDU>
Subject: [mou-net] FOYs at Coon Rapids Dam, Anoka County

Highlights downstream from the Dam this morning:

Brown Thrasher - FOY, in patch of woods at SW end of Cenaiko Lake
Least Flycatcher - FOY, heard, then seen in same patch of woods
Palm Warbler - FOY, in grassy strip between Cenaiko Lake & paved trail
Savannah Sparrow - FOY, in turf trail just west of Cenaiko Lake; near
the picnic shelter that's between paved & turf trails; we've seen one or
more at this spot each spring for probably 5 years now, but they
disappear after a couple weeks; we'd love to hear if someone has
evidence of nesting there; today's bird was singing later, don't think
we've heard that song before, starting out a bit like a Grasshopper Sparrow
Rose-Breasted Grosbeak - Maureen is pretty convinced she heard a male
singing; her hearing is better than mine; we never saw the bird, or even
got very close to the song source; so it's an "almost FOY"
Great Blue Herons - 4 standing upright on nests in the rookery, a fifth
perched nearby; no evidence of incubation or even pairing, a sad remnant
of the 16 or so pairs there early last spring; does anyone know what
caused abandonment last year?
Also saw the now-routine Yellow-rumped Warblers, Ruby-crowned Kinglets
(but no Golden-crowned), White-throated Sparrows, and a single
(laggard?) American Tree Sparrow.

Ron Refsnider
Coon Rapids

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__lists.umn.edu_cgi-2Dbin_wa-3FSUBED1-3Dmou-2Dnet&d=DwICaQ&c=euGZstcaTDllvimEN8b7jXrwqOf-v5A_CdpgnVfiiMM&r=5gIOkmnQ1nLB2gWkMnpF7Q&m=hbrkcU2Zn7FbdnsrFjSIZscMDHJUAz2QY1CBEXW9IVg&s=gl10Y6oNmnOWIvXyRs2AlN1y77N6I2ejaIy2ogZ8ffE&e=
Archives:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__lists.umn.edu_archives_mou-2Dnet.html&d=DwICaQ&c=euGZstcaTDllvimEN8b7jXrwqOf-v5A_CdpgnVfiiMM&r=5gIOkmnQ1nLB2gWkMnpF7Q&m=hbrkcU2Zn7FbdnsrFjSIZscMDHJUAz2QY1CBEXW9IVg&s=AWS0YVbm0Ql-u1AfDPKlYj2V4qL9DwXORW_hOD0kGTs&e=