Last Thursday, May 13, up the hill from the western terminus of 33rd Street in
the Town of Afton, I heard the distinctive "Teakettle, Teakettle, Teakettle"
song of  a Carolina Wren. I was unable to see the bird. On Monday morning, May
17, at 11:30 AM, Leslie McInenly, Paul Smithson, and I parked on the west end
of the free public parking area along 34th Street in the Town of Afton,
immediately south of Squire House Gardens and north of the picnic area and
playground. As soon as we opened our car doors, we hear the Carolina Wren
singing nearby, probably in the shrubbery on the west side of Squire House
Gardens. Within five seconds, the bird flew about 30-40 feet up to a bare
branch of a nearby tree, where it continued to sing for about 10 seconds,
affording us excellent views of its relatively large size (for a wren), russet
crown, back, wings, and tail, distinctive white stripe above the eye, and buff
underparts. The bird then flew to the west up the hill, where we heard it
singing i
 ntermittently until almost noon. The dense shrubs and brush piles in the woods
on the hill between 33rd and 34th Streets is ideal Carolina Wren habitat, so I
suspect this bird may have a breeding territory in this area.