Hey Minnesota Birders,

The Minnesota Zoo recently had four African Magpie Shrikes slip out of our
tropics building through the emergency exits and were hoping this amazing
birding community could help us locate them so we can try to recapture them
before winter.  One was seen near the Terrace Oaks East Park in Burnsville, one
was seen near the School of Environmental Studies which is located near the zoo
in Apple Valley, and the third has not been located yet.  We had a fourth one
seen by the 140th St marsh which has been safely recaptured and returned to the
zoo, thanks to those that of you that had spotted this bird and allowed us to
get her back.

If you do spot an unusual black and white bird with a long tail, please call
the main line at the Minnesota Zoo at 952-461-9200 as soon as possible.  Date,
time, and specific location would be much appreciated.  Each of the birds has a
metal band and a color band-if you can detect the color on the cable tie this
is also helpful information.

If we can get a live sighting, we can respond immediately and have a better
luck in recapturing these tropical birds before winter.

Best regards,

Benjamin Hubred
Assistant Curator of Birds, Minnesota Zoo
13000 Zoo Blvd, Apple Valley, MN  55124
952-431-9321 / fax: 952-997-4838