From: Minnesota Birds <MOU-NET@LISTS.UMN.EDU> on behalf of Steve Wilson
<clevergray...@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, May 7, 2024 12:33:45 PM
To: MOU-NET@LISTS.UMN.EDU <MOU-NET@LISTS.UMN.EDU>
Subject: [mou-net] Hand-feeding Warblers

Until recently, I didn't realize how many bird species would eat from my
hand, including warblers. Last year a pine warbler ate peanuts from my hand
five minutes after I tried. This year two yellow-rumped warblers were doing
the same within a few hours of showing up at the feeder. They don't always
come in that readily; inclement weather helps. Here are a few videos I took
within the last several days to illustrate what I'm talking about.

One video has spectacular closeups of a male pine warbler eating out of my
hand, and what happens when it suspects an avian predator may be nearby:

Hand Feeding a Pine Warbler (youtube.com)
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1v8wxOVLpY>

This one has some fun interactions between warblers:

Hand-feeding a pine and two yellow-rumped warblers (youtube.com)
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0UjnaSVr34>

Here warblers struggle with uncooperative live mealworms so that they don't
go down the hatch the wrong way:

Yellow-rumped and Pine warblers eating live mealworms from my hand.
(youtube.com) <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTVMhccTuFM>

Another species I've recently had success with is purple finch.

Going for a walk with a purple finch:

Purple Finches and a Human Birdfeeder - YouTube
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83DA5_JuPOg>

This one's too long, I know, but for those of you not experiencing the
purple finch takeover of some NE MN feeders, just glancing at it gives you
an idea of the crazy number of purple finches we've had at our feeders
lately, how much some of us are spending on sunflower seeds, and why I had
to resort to the method in the previous video:

Purple Finch Feeding Frenzy (youtube.com)
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7aJs8VkoGI>

Other species that have eaten from my hand include black-capped chickadee,
red-breasted nuthatch, gray jay, pine siskin, American goldfinch, common
redpoll, pine grosbeak, evening grosbeak, dark-eyed junco, and just today,
blue jay. Several days ago a boreal chickadee plucked a peanut from a small
dish held in my hand, but I haven't succeeded in having it feed directly
from my hand. I highly recommend adding this technique to a feeding regime;
it can't be beat for fun.

Steve Wilson - Isabella