Hi all,

I'm writing with my late summer request for observations of red crossbills
foraging on conifers. Now is the time when cone crops on many conifers are
starting to mature, so crossbills could be gearing up to breed if there is
a decent cone crop near you.

As a reminder: I'm looking for recordings of red crossbill calls from the
eastern US/Great Lakes with information on the conifers the birds are
feeding on. The recordings do not have to be made with any advanced
equipment -- most phone recordings are sufficient. Pictures of the conifer
cones are most helpful. However, if you are comfortable with conifer
identification, notes on which conifers birds are feeding on are also
valuable.

I also wrote a short update on the project and the 2023-2024 "conifer
season" on the iNaturalist page for this project (link here
<https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/feeding-ecology-of-eastern-red-crossbills/journal/96709-2023-2024-recap>).
We are quickly approaching 1,000 observations, and this past year was a
very interesting one!

Many thanks to everyone who has contributed!

Best,
Dr. Cody Porter
Holland, MI

iNaturalist Project Link: