Hi,
I'm currently working on a digital signature applet and I would like to
add support to Firefox keystores using JSS.

According to JSS documentation, deployment of JSS modules on client machines imposes this requirement: native JSS modules should be added to PATH (win) or LD_LIBRARY_PATH (linux) variables.

In my context, the applet should work without any prior client side configuration, so this is a very "strong" requirement. By inspecting the JSS source code, I discovered that this was related to native JSS libraries loading. Interfacing Java with native binaries was implemented using System.loadLibrary() Java method which looks for the binaries in PATH (win) or LD_LIBRARY_PATH (linux).

As there is the System.load() method that takes as argument the native binary file name, a possible solution seemed to be the runtime copy of native modules in a local directory and their loading using System.load() Unfortunately this gave me some internal native JSS module errors that I could not come through.

What is behind using System.loadLibrary instead of System.load()? Is there any alternative to bypass this requirement without any prior user installation/configuration?

Thank you for your help.