>>      Attached is the latest query stuff with boolean
>>      stuff combined. The existing directory query
>>      not inherits from the nsIBooleanExpression interface
>>      and the nsIAbDirectoryQueryArguments has a
>>      nsIBooleanExpression attribute.
>
>Why have nsIBooleanExpression and nsIBooleanCondition as empty
>interfaces, rather than just passing an nsISupports there?

        I guess i wanted to be explicit about the
        relationships between expression, condition
        and operation.

        Also the nsIAbDirectoryQueryArguments 'expression'
        attribute is explicit about what type it is.

        Do you think this is design overkill?
        i.e. document clearly instead.

>>      I have been thinking about implementing asynchronous
>>      query for LDAP (personal and organsizational), just
>>      got to read up on LDAP filters so i can correctly
>>      generate from the simple boolean expression.
>
>I've been sorting out the best way to parameterize the autocomplete
>code, and I suspect it'll be with filters as well.  Maybe we need an
>nsIFilter object.

        Hmmm... do you mean an nsILDAPFilter object?

        Not sure how this would be different from a
        boolean expression tree i.e. an LDAP filter
        string (RFC 2254) can be generated from the
        expression, unless of course this interface
        will perform this conversion?

        I think gives the developer flexibilty if
        ldap attributes can be represetned as strings
        with helper interfaces which can convert from
        more abstract representations.
        In relation to filters and searches:
        I notice that URL search has been removed from
        the nsILDAPOperation interface. I think
        i remember reading why some time ago but
        its lost on me now....
        I think as long as the nsILDAPUrl is fully
        featured it does not matter because the
        appropriate parameters for the searchExt
        method could be obtained from this interface.

Paul.

| ? + ? = To question
   Paul Sandoz
        x19219