>>        - Is an attribute needed to define type so that
>>          associated icons may be displayed?
>
>Type of addressbook?  Or type of card?

        The addressbook; similar to 4.x

>>      o GUI Search functionality like netscape 4.X and
>>        the proposed search functionality that was
>>        described by Josh Harding and suggested by
>>        Matthew Thomas.
>
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news://news.mozilla.org/[EMAIL PROTECTED]> is
>what I assume you're referring to.

        I am assuming you have got the right one cause
        i can't access news: schemes cause of the
        firewall.

>I agree; this seems like a nice GUI.

        Yep.

>>        When a searchable address book is selected
>>        the 'search bar' should be displayed.
>
>I'm not quite sure what you mean by this.

        Hmm... that a search tool bar should become
        visible if not already so, so that a user
        can enter the search query.

>>      o The RDF directory data source needs a query
>>        command that takes as an argument the search
>>        critera defined as a boolean expression tree.
>>
>>        - The data source will be responsible for
>>          for passing the search arguments to the query
>>          interface on the RDF directory resource conponent
>>          and listening to the results which are then
>>          asserted. Thus it is asynchronous in operation.
>
>So if I understand you correctly, this is really an optimization: that
>is, a generic helper class could do the entire boolean expression
>processing on _any_ RDF datasource.  But this allows datasources which
>understand expressions themselves (eg LDAP) to do it much quicker.
>Right?

        I suppose it could, but i do not understand fully
        what you mean.

        The 'generic helper' would have to understand one or
        more of uris, statements and hierarchical relations of
        on the datasource.
        However, i think it could be done quite easily for
        the js LDAP datasouce because of its search based
        nature.

        It is not just an optimization because the query
        can change the 'normal' hierarchical relationship
        of an RDF graph. For example it should be possible
        to do a query on the Address Book Container, this
        flattens and contracts.

        <offtopic>
        In general it would be interesting if an SQL type
        query could be performed on an RDF datasources.
        http://www.intellidimension.com/RDFGateway/gateway.asp
        </offtopic>

>>          The query command should unassert previously
>>          returned cards.
>
>Why is this necessary?  Won't the newly created listener not know
>about any previously returned cards?

        Query 1 returns set A of cards
        Query 2 returns set B of cards.
        A n B = 0

        How does affect an RDF datasource. Is the
        result of two queries returning sets A and B of
        cards respectively A u B statements?

        I don't know enough about this really.

>>        - A general linear search query component is
>>          available for directories that do not support
>>          the query interface. This means that existing
>>          local address books may also be searched.
>
>If this only exists to deal with the exist local addressbook, wouldn't
>it make more sense to simply write an instance of the query interface
>for the local addressbook that does more clever stuff with
>datastructures in order to avoid doing a linear search?  Note that I'm
>completely naive about how mork & the local address book work, so this
>may not be practical.

        Yep that right. I think of it as a helper for
        directories that have not yet implemented
        specific query functionality.

        It would definitely be more efficient to go to
        the mdb and mork level, but yuck!
        I am suspect on mork's level of efficiency and
        unsure of its query capability.

        What would be really cool in a set of data base
        connection interfaces (like JDBC or SDBC (star open office))
        and an implementation to MySQL.
        (interestingly enough people have been talking
        about an OpenLDAP back end to MySQL, the
        implications of which start to make me dizzy with
        what can be connection to what!)

Paul.

| ? + ? = To question
   Paul Sandoz