Jon Smirl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 12/13/05, Ben Hutchings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Jon Smirl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> > Mozilla asks the OS to render fonts, so it is an OS question and the
>> > answer probably varies by platform. On Linux I don't believe FreeType
>> > is capable of rendering to non-square pixel without changing it's
>> > source code.
>>
>> The Freetype API certainly supports them:
>> <http://www.freetype.org/freetype2/docs/reference/ft2-base_interface.html#FT_Set_Char_Size>.
>>
>> I'm not clear on how Mozilla's requests for fonts make their way
>> through to Freetype though.
>
> Mozilla goes through Cairo or X to draw fonts depending on which
> renderer you use. They in turn get their fonts from xfs and render
> them with freetype. X gets the aspect ratio from the monitor's DDC
> info.
<snip>

Not on a virtual frame buffer, it doesn't!

Anyway, I've had a dig around, and this appears to be a limitation of
fontconfig and Xft, so not something I could likely fix in Mozilla
(even if I wanted to modify it, which I'd like to avoid).  What a pain!

--
Ben Hutchings
Klipstein's 4th Law of Prototyping and Production: